BAKED Potato on Gas Grill
Wash the potatoes. Run each potato under cool water and use your hands or a soft sponge to scrub it clean of dirt.
Prepare each potato. Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, remove any blemishes or green spots.3
Pat the potatoes dry. Dry potato skins absorb oil, butter and seasonings better, making the potatoes more flavorful.4
Poke holes in the potatoes. Before wrapping your potatoes in foil, use a fork to poke a few holes across the skin. This allows the heat to vent from the potatoes for even cooking.Wrap your potato in aluminum foil. Tear off sheets of foil for all the potatoes you plan to cook and wrap them tightly in the foil. Be sure the potatoes are covered completely.
- You can roll them in the foil and pinch the sides closed or fold the foil over them and fold the sides.
- If you are cooking many potatoes, you can pile them in even thickness over the hottest part of the grill. This way, once the bottom row begins to char, it will be time to flip them.
- If they're too charred but not done in the middle, put them back on, away from the hottest part of the grill, and cover the grill.
- The amount of heat and the size of the potatoes determine their cooking time. Generally, when grilled with the lid down, whole foil wrapped potatoes take 30 to 45 minutes to cook through.
- In the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking, you can remove the potatoes from the foil and return them to the grill, unwrapped. This will brown the skins.
Method 2 of 4: Grilling Whole Potatoes Without Foil
Wash the potatoes. Rinse your potatoes in cool or cold water to wash away any dirt. Scrub them gently with a soft sponge to clean them.
Prepare each potato. You may have to cut away some green or brown spots. Use a sharp knife or vegetable peeler to carefully slice away the blemishes.
- Pat the potatoes dry. If you plan to season the skins, dry potatoes are much better at absorbing seasonings.
- Brush the skins with oil. This will prevent the potatoes from sticking to the grill and create a crispier skin.
- In a small bowl, mix cooking oil with a small amount of butter, salt, pepper, and garlic for a tasty seasoning spread.
- Place potatoes on metal skewers. Placing your potatoes on skewers makes the grilling process easier. Place 3 to 4 potatoes on each skewer depending on size.
- You can also place your potatoes directly onto the grill if you prefer.
Put your potatoes on the grill. Using indirect heat, place the skewered potatoes on the edge furthest from the direct heat source.
- Cook your potatoes. Cook over the indirect heat for 30 to 40 minutes with the grill lid down. Gradually roll the potatoes toward the direct heat.
Yumms! BBQ Grill Mat Set of 2 15"x13"
Lawn & Patio (Yumms!)
Boska Holland Milano Collection Mini Raclette Set
Kitchen (Boska Holland)
The Amazing Gator Mitts - 5 Piece Silicone Oven Safety Mitt Bundle - 1 Pair Mitt And 3 Silicone Utensils Orange
Home (Chill Enterprises)
How do you cook baked potatoes on a gas grill?
Cook potatoes halfway in the microwave, then wrap in foil and place on the upper rack of the grill, lid down, cook for 20 mins.