Propane gas prices
I cannot believe how much it costs to heat your house. Last month, our bill almost doubled. I suppose that comes with the unseasonably cold temperatures.
Jessica and I were talking about the price difference between propane (like we had at our old house) and natural gas (like we have at our new house.
Our initial thought was that it should be about the same. But after doing some research, we found that there is a pretty big difference between propane and natural gas.
In order to figure out the cost of propane verses natural gas, I did the following:
- I first needed to determine an appropriate conversion between gallons of propane and therms of natural gas. I found a website that listed a rough approximation between therms and gallons of propane:
“100 cubic feet (1 CCF) of natural gas is very nearly 1 therm (0.95 – 1.05, typically, depending on gas analysis). 1 gallon of LPG is about 0.91 therm. (91000 BTU).”
- After determining that 1 gallon of Propane = 0.91 therms, I calculated how much one therm equals by doing the by dividing 1 gallon of propane by 0.91 therms. This gives me the solution that 1 Therm = 1.1 Gallons of propane.
- Then I looked at our propane and natural gas bills to determine the unit prices for each. For propane, this is $1.49 per gallon. For natural gas, it is $0.80 a therm.
- Next I determined a standard measurement to base our calculations on. I chose therms. Since 1 therm = 1.1 Gallons of Propane, we will take 1.1 gallons of propane times $1.49. This will give us an equivalent to the price per therm.
1.1 * $1.49 = $1.63
- We can conclude that, at current market prices (January 1, 2009), natural gas is much cheaper. Currently, $0.80 of natural gas would cost you $1.63 if it was bought in propane.
Disposable Cylinders [Set of 12] Style: Gas MAPP, Cap. Vol.:16 oz, Price Each (QLM-PRO)
Home Improvement (Goss)
Propane Refill Adapter 1lb Small LP Gas Cylinder Tank Brass Auto-Close Protect
Home (Great Price 4U2)
LP/Propane/Natural Gas Cutting Tip 3-GPN #00, 3-GPN-00 for Victor Torch
Home Improvement (WeldingCity)
Seafire Non-stick BBQ Grill Mat - Set of 3 - Bonus 2 Free E-books - Made By Fda-approved & Pfoa Free Fiberglass-teflon Materials, Reusable and Dishwasher Safe - Great for Meat, Fish and Veggies
Lawn & Patio (Seafire BBQ grill mat)
ProCom ML250HPA Propane Gas Vent Free Heater 25000 Btu ProCom ML250HPA Propane Gas Vent Free Heate
Home Improvement (ProCom)
Do you think your propane gas prices are high?
Most places have a minimum order , like 100 gals to get you going. It is great for heating, provides some moisture into the air in dry winter, but it is a little pricey.
You will want to plastic up some windows that you dont need to open to cut down on loss. And a skirt around the base of the home also helps.
Mobile homes are typically poorly insulated. It could be fairly pricey to heat, especially if you like it warm. You might want to ask other people with trailers to see what their costs are.