Home Depot gas water Heaters
Step 1: Remove the Old Water Heater1. Turn off the water, gas supply valves, and power.
2. Drain and disconnect the old water heater.
Step 2: Install New Gas Line
1. Install a tee and valve in the existing gas line if needed.
2. Run a new gas supply line – using flexible gas supply line or black pipe – from the
tee to a point where it can be easily attached to the gas line of the new water
Step 3: Install New Water Lines
1. Tie in new hot and cold water lines to the existing water lines with copper pipe and
run the lines to the new water heater. Use bell hangers to hold pipe securely in
place against the wall – this will also make it easy to apply pipe insulation later.
2. Clean the pipes and connectors before soldering to remove oxidation.
3. Apply flux to the end of the pipe, slip pipe and connectors together, heat copper
with a torch, and solder pipes together.
Step 4: Mount the Water Heater1. Build a platform with 2X4’s that will allow you to mount the new tankless water about
4-inches from the wall. Be careful to choose a location for the new water heater
that will allow you to vent it to the outside easily.
2. Mount the tankless water heater securely to the platform.
Step 5: Connect the Water Heater
1. Connect the shutoff valve and the sediment trap to the water heater following the
2. Attach the gas supply line to the shutoff valve.
3. Connect the water supply line to the water heater following the manufacturer’s
4. Turn on the gas, bleed the line if necessary, and check for leaks. After checking
for leaks, turn the gas line back off until Step 7 below.
Step 6: Install the Vent1. Apply heat resistant silicone sealant to the vent shaft of the water heater, slip on a
connector, and secure with a hose clamp.
2. Slip on a section of stainless steel vent pipe, slide on a retaining ring and fold
over the taps to secure it in place. Then slide on an elbow and adjust it so that the
opening is pointing in the direction where the water heater will vent to the outside.
3. Drill a hole from the inside through the joist or wall for venting to the outside at
a point that will be the center of the vent hole. Connect the water supply line to
the water heater following the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Outline a circle on the outside wall using the vent thimble; bore a 1-inch hole near
the top of the circle using a spade bit; cut out the vent hole with a reciprocating
saw. Remove shingles or siding from around the vent hole to allow the flange
thimble to rest flush against the outside wall.
5. Apply silicone caulk around the edge of the flange, insert flange into the vent hole,
secure tightly with screws to the outside wall, and seal the screws with silicone.
6. Install interior flange from the inside and run a section of vent pipe through the
flange opening, securing each section with the tabs.
7. From the outside, connect a small section of vent pipe and connect the vent hood.
9. Replace the shingles or siding that were removed from around the vent opening.
Step 7: Turn on the Water Heater
1. Plug in the water heater.
2. Insulate the hot water pipe coming from the water heater.
3. Turn on the gas.
4. Follow any specific start up procedures provided by the manufacturer of your new
Tungsten 500 Radiant Natural Gas Patio Heater
Lawn & Patio (Bromic)
Bromic Heating Low Clearance Heat Deflector for 500 Series Patio Heaters
Lawn & Patio (Rasmussen Iron Works, Inc.)
Fire Sense 61437 1-Piece Heavy Duty Reflector Upgrade for Gas Patio Heater
Lawn & Patio (Well Traveled Living)
Tjernlund UnderAire Crawl Space Ventilator - Deluxe Two-Fan, 220 CFM, Model# V2D
Rheem RTG-84DVN Direct Vent Indoor Series Natural Gas 8.4 GPM Tankless Water Heater
Home Improvement (Rheem)